Wednesday 1 September 2010

Blackberry Jam and The Hive


We have been picking loads of blackberries recently and have had them with pancakes and jelly so far. I really wanted to have a go at making jam with them as I have never made jam before....As you can see from the photo we have already ate half a jar as it is so delicious especially spread on some boller which I am also making a lot these days...

Here is a recipe if you have got a slow cooker....ideal for busy mums as you only have to stir it a couple of times whilst its cooking...

blackberry & apple jam recipe for the slow cooker
(makes about 3 jars)

2lb apples peeled, cored and chopped
1lb granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
8oz blackberries

Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker as listed, cover and cook on high for 5 hours stirring once or twice. At the end it should be thick and pulpy. Sterilize 3 jam jars, put the jam in and place a greasproof paper disc over then put the lids on. Store in the fridge....you have to eat it within 2 months..which is not a problem as you will probably eat it all within a week!!!

I have just discovered another fabulous crafting community called The Hive on the net courtesy of my friend Lisa..she has a needlefelting group on there..check it out by clicking the link as its full of creativity and inspiration!

6 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Yum! Blackberry jam!

Carin said...

Yummy! I don't think I could control myself either, it looks and sounds delish!

Donna said...

Hi Lorraine, Thanks so much for visiting and leaving the nice comment. As a matter of fact, I'm babysitting Lena, granddaughter, overnight, so Mom and Dad (my son) can keep a good eye on August, the new grandson. His breathing was not too good at first though his oxygen level has stabilized now.

We have blackberries growing wild in the spring here..but we are heading into fall so they are gone. We were so busy this spring that I couldn't pick them. The deer, rabbits, and probably a million other animals love them. So they get most of our blackberries. They are delicious aren't they? I need to try your recipe!
xo
Donna

Joanna said...

Thank you for the slow cooker recipe - I will definitely have a go at that, looks yummy and the proof was clearly in the eating!

Unknown said...

I love jam!

Lisa Fulmer said...

yay for jam and honeybees!